Monday, July 30, 2012

Spotlight: El Bocho

El Bocho is probably the most visible arist I've seen in Berlin, and his art covers so many styles and mediums that I'm sure there's even more done by him than I realize. Luckily he does leave his name with most of his paste-up work, which is what first caught my eye, so I'll focus on those.

Even just with paste ups he has a few different styles and themes. Some are very simple, like these CCTV cameras he has put up everywhere.


More interesting to me are the two major groups of other paste ups he does. The first group is of usually brightly coloured girls - often with something to say although my German isn't strong enough to translate.






The second group is probably El Bocho's most famous work. They are based around a sweet-looking cartoon girl known as Little Lucy who has a rather strong dislike of cats. (Warning: May be disturbing to some cat lovers!)









If the meaning of those last two pictures isn't clear enough on its own, "doner" is what Canadians call schawarma, or Americans call gyros. Tasty.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Mean Little Lucy! Also, doner (or donair) is Turkish, shawarma is Middle Eastern, and gyros are Greek - I guess what people call it depends on the immigrants of the area.

iphynx said...

I think it's more than just immigrants, but it would make for an interesting study. In Greece it was definitely gyros, and in Turkey most often they were just called kebabs/kebaps, but I think everywhere else in Europe, from Scotland to Bulgaria has been doner. You'll see the occasional place using shawarma, but I haven't ever seen gyros outside of Greece and United States, or restaurants that are specifically just Greek.