Monday, July 9, 2012

Days 104-105: Why Cheap Alchohol Isn't Always a Good Thing

Been a somewhat frenzied few days in which I haven't had the chance to post anything, so I'll skip back a few days and try to catch things up.

My last day in Brasov was meant to be a quiet, relaxing one. There were more people staying in the hostel than on previous nights, and in the evening I agreed to go out drinking with a three Aussie travellers at the hostel. The convenience stores sell 2L plastic bottles of beer for what amounts to under $2, so we first sat around the living area chatting and drinking our big soda bottles of beer. Once out on the town I had a few more beer - to the point where I was drunk, but well within my safe, comfortable limits of being drunk. Somewhere along the way we started hanging out with three Romanian girls, and they took us to a bar with 25 cent shots, and that's when the night really began to unravel. Eventually we ended up at another bar, and while the others were still going I was not feeling very well and had a train to catch in the morning, so I slipped away and went back to the hostel around 3:30.

When I was younger, I never got hung over. The few times I've really drank a lot as I travel have demonstrated that that isn't the case anymore, and a 2nd class seat on a crowded regional train for 4 hours while hung over is a pretty horrible experience. I eventually got to the town of Sibiu, and after finding my hostel resisted the urge to go to sleep since I was only going to be there a single day and headed into town.

Sibiu is another picturesque and historic looking Translvanian town, but it apparently wasn't always so. Fairly recently it was just another decaying Romanian city, but in the last decade or so they have put a lot of effort into rebuilding and cleaning things up, and it's now considered a gem of the country.




1 comment:

Maureen said...

I imagine your train/hangover experience was probably a lot like my food poisoning/train experience from Budapest to Prague.