Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Days 99-100: Exploring Sofia

I had planned to go hiking Vitosha Mountain just outside of Sofia on one of these days, but it's apparently a full day activity and things just kept coming up that prevented me from getting out that way. I'm not too concerned since my research of things to do in eastern Europe has given me a substantial list of good hiking spots. I've been taking it a bit easy, planning out stuff coming up and just walking around town checking things out. I visited the Lady's Market, which is the largest street market in Sofia. I'm not entirely sure where the name came from, but apparently it's -the- place to go for illegal cigarettes, stolen goods and counterfeit clothing - as well as the one place to really watch out for pickpockets ("full of gypsies!" the girl on hostel staff told me matter of factly). After spending half an hour trying to clean all the burrs and thorns out of the socks I sullied in Turkey I threw them out in frustration and bought a new pair. Today I've been feeling a bit nauseous which I'm a bit nervous about, since I have a 10 hour train ride tonight. I should have spent a bit extra for the bed, but I've never had issue sleeping in seats so far and I was feeling fine when I made the reservation.

The activation of my second Eurail pass makes it officially the 4th stage of my trip now, and hitting day 100 marks the approximately 1/4 milestone of my trip. I'm going to write up some sort of summary to mark the occasion, but not sure exactly when the post will happen.

No comments: