Friday, June 22, 2012

Days 87-88: Antalya

I'm grouping these days together since they were both in the same place and I didn't do much exciting on the second one.
On the way from Pamukkale to Antalya we stopped at yet another archaeological site - Perge. Back in its day Perge was one of the most prosperous cities around, and even though they are still uncovering more the site is a pretty nice one. I had some fun exploring tunnels beneath where the baths were, and climbing up over walls and towers - making my guide a bit nervous of my safety. The things here were all easy to climb though, and very stable - and the risk was pretty non-existant. There were also lots of lizards around. All through Italy, Greece and Turkey I've seen lots of little lizards, but the ones here were probably 30-40cm.







I had a nice sea view from the top floor of our hotel in Antalya, but as had been a recurring theme the service wasn't very good. Every night we've been staying at 4-star and 5-star hotels, but it seems like the rating is based on the extra services available than on service. The one in Antalya at least had a really good buffet, but they charge ridiculous prices for drinks, including water, and you're not allowed to bring any of your own food/water into the hotel. Our air conditioner didn't work very well, and you just got the feeling that none of the staff really cared all that much.


The second day in Antalya was a free day. We were a bit far from the city center, and there wasn't anything I overly wanted to see so I just wandered around the part of the city we were in and checked out some parks and shopping malls. I spent much of the evening online trying to catch up on things while I had internet access and just relax some.

No comments: