Sunday, March 3, 2013

Days 330-331: Extended Stay

My original plan had been to spend 3 nights in Nelson before heading down the west coast of the south island, but the bus service I'm using only has one bus a day going in the direction I wanted, and it was already full on the day I wanted to leave. Like just about everywhere in New Zealand, Nelson is a nice, relaxed town and staying a 4th night wasn't much of an issue.

On Sunday I walked along the coast for a couple hours to the beach. After spending a couple hours relaxing on the beach I met up with a group I had been told about by one of the hostel staff to play ultimate frisbee in the sand. I haven't played ultimate frisbee since university, and while my cardio is immensly better for some activities now, sprinting back and forth in the sand for 3 hours isn't one of them. My throwing was a little rough but my catching was still very sharp and it was a lot of fun. After the frisbee we went out to a local pub to hang out and have a few drinks and then I got a ride back to the hostel from one of the other players.

I was a little sore the next day, but wasn't too bad. I didn't really have much planned at this point but a few of the hostel newcomers were looking for things to do so I showed them around town and did a bit more hiking on the trails just outside of town.

No comments: