Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day 328: Ferry Crossing

I got up early in the morning to catch the 8am ferry from Wellington, across Cook Straight to the town of Picton on the southern island of New Zealand. Ther ferry ride is about 4 hours long but it's at least pretty comfortable.

Once we got into Picton I took a shuttle to where my bus was waiting and continued on west to Nelson, which was another 4 hours away. This drive was getting into the part of New Zealand that has nice scenery, and much of the road in was winding around wooded hills and mountains. So much of the north island is rolling grasslands that it was nice to see wide stretches of trees for a change. Nelson is small enough that I found my hostel pretty easily once I was there, and after walking around a bit to get some dinner and do a little exploring I spent the evening in the hostel talking to people and watching movies.

No comments: