Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 44: Trains

I spent most of today on trains or waiting for trains as I skipped all over avoiding train reservation fees. I finally got checked into my hostel in Paris sometime after 5:00, and now I'm planning to just take it easy for the evening and do some planning, and then venture out tomorrow. I probably need to visit the train station again tomorrow to reserve my route to Switzerland/Italy, and Lyon is proving to be a headache, so I might pick some other place in France to visit after Paris. At least the public transit here is ridiculously cheap. No pictures today, but I am going to try to finally bring Picasa up to date with the ones I've been taking since Amsterdam.

4 comments:

Paul said...

The Louvre is closed Tuesdays, I think... and I *think* Wednesdays are the "late" days (you should Google this) meaning you can avoid lines by going much later in the day AND you should enter via the Carousel de Louvre (underground mall) rather than through the glass pyramid.

Katharine and I entered the Louvre this route on a Wednesday around 5:30PM, and there was NO line at all.

iphynx said...

You are correct about Tuesday being the closed day, which works out nicely for me. Wednesday is indeed the late day, but going much later in the day isn't really an option for me, since I pland to spend a lot more than a few hours there. Thanks for suggesting going through the Carousel de Louvre though - I'll definitely check that out.

Linda said...

Cannes Film Festival is on from the 16th-27th of May. I know you weren't planning to go to the south of France but it's another option.

iphynx said...

I haven't bothered going to the Toronto Film Festival when I live there, so I'm not too keen on going all the way across France for Cannes. I think I've worked out a plan. I'll get to see a bit less, but it won't be too bad. Just hard to get anything cheap for accomodations in some of the places I was planning.