Monday, September 24, 2012

Day 183: Taipei

Another plane ride over with. I must say though, Hong Kong International Airport has a rather nice departures wing. My flight this time wasn't until noon, so I could get up at a reasonable time and not frantically rush to the airport.

The ride into Taipei from the airport was a fairly lengthy bus ride, followed by another, much shorter bus. The city bus at the end was reporting stops out of sync with where it actually was, so I got off at the wrong stop which was a bit troublesome since the instructions I was given were landmark based ("go towards the Starbucks on your left...") assuming I was beginning at a place I wasn't. I still managed to find the place pretty quickly, which was good because there is no actual staff at the hostel and I had to be let in by one of the people that run it who was waiting for me. I had estimated in my correspondence with them that I'd show up around 4:00 and in the end it was like 4:15, so it wasn't too awful. The hostel I'm in is actually pretty amazing. It's brand new, having only been open for a month, and it's sparkling. There's a dorm (where I am), and two private double-rooms, but the only people staying here, at least for tonight, are me and one girl in one of the private rooms, so I have the dorm to myself. The place has two very modern washrooms, its own kitchen, and laundry (unfortunately I just washed everything before leaving Hong Kong). It's just another reason to be disappointed I have such a short time here.

I didn't want to do anything too wild tonight, so I just explored the neighborhood a bit and scrounged a dinner from a mix of street vendors. Tomorrow I'm going to squeeze in as much as I can, but I'm focusing on a few things in particular that interest me. I've found that with all these big cities, especially when you have a limited time, the most interesting thing to do is to check out the places that make the city special or give it its character. My flight out of Taiwan on Wednesday is at 8am (ugh) so I'll probably need to go to bed early or just spend another day exhausted.

No comments: