Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 172: One Down

I picked up my passport with the China visa this morning, and everything looks good with it! I hope everything goes as smoothly with the Indian one, but China was the more important for me. If I missed India on my trip I'd be disappointed, but if I missed China I would have been devastated.

Once I had the passport back I set about figuring out the India visa paperwork. They want a lot more than China did, and I had to fill out three different forms and get a print out of my itinerary while in the country. The consulate gets another company to handle visa processing instead of doing it themselves, so I had to cross over the river for the first time into Kowloon to drop things off. It took a few tries to satisfy them with things, but in the end we got it worked out. Because I'm not a resident of Hong Kong they have to do some special background check which takes time, so I'm supposed to check online Monday/Tuesday to see if my stuff has been approved. Then it's just a matter of dropping my passport off in the morning and picking it up in the afternoon the same day with the visa. Barring any unexpected problems I should get everything done with plenty of time to spare.

There are a lot of places in Kowloon and further north that I want to check out, but I didn't feel like pushing too deeply inland with all my things and it already late in the afternoon. Instead I just took a nice walk along the promenade, including a stretch through the Hong Kong equivelant of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The vast majority of the stars I had no clue on, but I did find a few familiar names.






I also spent quite a bit of time today doing planning on the things I want to see while I'm in Hong Kong. 2 weeks is a long time for a city, but Hong Kong has a lot to do, especially for me. There are lots of islands to explore, museums, temples, parks, and, best of all, an immense collection of beautiful hiking trails. I've picked out two possibilities for how to spend tomorrow, and will choose between them in the morning when I see how I feel and what the weather is like.

7 comments:

Maureen said...

Zomg! So jealous! I expect lots of updates for this leg of your trip! :)

Maureen said...

Also, I don't know what your itinerary for China is, but if you can, definitely visit Yangshuo (it's near the big city Guilin). It's by far the most beautiful scenery I've seen in my entire life. Rent a bike and go around the countryside.

I also really enjoyed Nanjing. The people were super helpful and kind.

iphynx said...

I'm really hoping blogspot isn't one of the things blocked on the mainland. I'm pretty sure facebook is, and it would be pretty sad if I can't post anything for what is probably the one month I'm most looking forward to of the entire trip.

Anonymous said...

In Kowloon area, do you plan to visit the Night Market, well it really is where they sell all the counterfeit goods! I am sure you would be offered a real good deal on a Rolex watch!!

And how are you planning to travel to the China mainland...by boat, or train to the border or are you flying! All I do remember going into China, have some toilet paper since most washrooms don`t carry it!! You`re on your own when it comes to this!!

Mike

iphynx said...

I'm flying in. Before going to the mainland I have a couple days in Taiwan left from before I had to change all my schedule around for the visas, so I'm flying from Hong Kong to Taipei and then from Taipei to Beijing.

The Night Market is on my list, although I don't expect to buy much. Possibly clothes if I see something I really like.

Thanks for the tip on toilet paper, I'll make sure to have some on hand. Normally I don't have to use public washrooms much anyway, and I'm pretty sure hostels/hotels would stock it, but I'll be prepared in any case.

Maureen said...

Good tip from Mike re: toilets

Toilets in China come with the following select (but not guaranteed) amenities - running water, soap, toilet paper, cleanliness, privacy, western toilets. In addition to carrying TP (or kleenex), I suggest picking up hand sanitizer and start practicing preemptive strikes on your bladder whenever you find a nice toilet. :D

Paul said...

Bruce Lee!