Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 31: Return to Dublin

It's finally the end of my 10-day through Ireland and Northern Ireland. After leaving Cork we went to Kilkenny for lunch and to hang out for a few hours. The wetness has been persistent and it was raining off and on again, so none of us were too keen on exploring too far. The castle looked pretty fancy, but there was an admission cost to get in and I didn't care enough to pay it.
There was also a nice cathedral and another lovely round tower in the city, and enough shops to spend some time browsing around.
Then it was back to Dublin for our final stop - the Guinness Storehouse. It was more of a museum, wandering through displays of equipment, information, art and other things that chronicle the history of Guinness, but you don't get to see any of actual processes going on. At the end they have a "Guinness Academy" that teaches you how to pour the perfect pint of Guinness, so that's how we ended our trip.
You may notice I'm looking extra-Irish in my green woolen cap. I wanted at least one momento from Ireland, and the cap rolls up nicely, so I bought it in Blarney. After drinking my perfect pint we headed to our hostels and said our farewells as the trip came to an end. It's still very wet out, and I'm debating whether to go out or just take it easy for tonight. I still have a lot of time in Dublin, so I'm probably just going to kick back for much of this week.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Love the cap, you do look very Irish with the cap, (and very focused on pouring your pint). I do think it's a good idea to take it easy in Dublin and get ready for the next leg. When do you fly to Amsterdam?

Jess said...

Love the hat! Sounds like you had a good tour of the island and now you can rest up and see a bit more of Dublin.

iphynx said...

Flying to Amsterdam on April 30. I also have a day tour tomorrow in Ireland, but other than that I have a pretty empty schedule. Really hope I'm feeling better before I leave Dublin.

Maureen said...

Amsterdam? Lucky! I can't wait to read about your next adventure! :)