Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 28: Dingle Peninsula and Killarney

Lots of beautiful scenery yesterday as we drove along the coast and through the mountains along the peninsula. For me this is sort of stereotypical Ireland with the sea on one side and green hills dotted with stone walls and sheep on the other side.




We made a quick visit to the Gallarus Oratory which is thought to be an early Christian church thought to have been built between the 6th and 9th century. For something so early and so rural it has pretty amazing craftsmanship, with each block fitted perfectly to the surrounding ones.


We stopped for lunch at the town of Dingle, which seems to be most famous for a lone bottle-nosed dolphin that came into the area in 1984 as part of a pod, but stuck behind when the others left. The dolphin (Fungi) is extremely friendly to humans and goes out to greet boats as they leave the bay. Eventually we got to Killarney which is going to be our base for the next couple days.

I've had another annoying obstacle in that I had forgotten to book my plane ticket out of Ireland, and since I didn't want to pay a ridiculous amount I'm going to have another 4 or 5 days in Dublin after the tour before I leave. I've learned of a few more things to do in Dublin since I was there first at least, and if nothing else it should give me some days of R&R to get over any lingering sickness.

4 comments:

Joe said...

That is a really awesome church. Humble the way the should be. Do you know how old it is?

Jess said...

That fawn is so cute! I love the animal pics you're posting; make sure you get some cats of the world for me.

iphynx said...

As I said right in the post, built between the 6th and 9th centuries AD.

Unknown said...

Ha ha, somehow I missed the date on the first read through.

I was just looking closer too and I don't see mortar or anything to hold it together and fill in the gaps. What an incredible about of labour it must've been to pick rocks that fit together so well (or shape them all).