Sunday, March 4, 2012

Preparations

Since I'm about to start giving out the address to this blog, I felt I should at least have a first post ready.  I am officially beginning my trip March 25 now - travelling roughly west to east with the intention of finishing around the end of April 2013.  The plan is to do a mix of group tours and independent backpacking, at around a 1:4 ratio.  


I'm going to be travelling light.  All I'm taking is:

  • a backpack (not even  the fancy backpacking type)
  • a messenger bag
  • 4 days of clothing
  • 1 pair of running shoes
  • documentation (passport and a few forms I will need)
  • cards for the acquisition of money
  • a few other odds and ends (sketchbook, water bottle, some pens and pencils, toiletries, etc)
and of course all the gadgets:
  • Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet
  • Magellan handheld GPS (those who read the Japan blog know I get lost a lot)
  • Canon PowerShot SX220 camera - after much consideration I decided to go with a smaller camera.  Ultimately size and weight were just more important than a bunch of extra features and a slight improvement in quality
  • My ipod
  • A large assortment of cables, adapters and chargers that will hopefully keep everything working as it should
If anybody has any questions/comments/suggestions as I travel, they are most welcome.  I'm warning in advance that there will be days and even weeks of silence when I'm travelling places off the grid, or just don't have time.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What cards did you bring and were they not accepted anywhere? I'd just bring a standard deck of 52 and play for it, ha ha. Who needs ATM's?

How much did this list change throughout the trip?

iphynx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ha ha, I figured a lot of those odds and ends would be lost. As I'm especially susceptible to loosing things I'd say a good rule for me would bring to only bring things I'm comfortable considering already lost, hah.

Anything you didn't have along the way that you found yourself wishing you had brought? How about the flip side, anything you wish you hadn't brought (The GPS perhaps?).

iphynx said...

I didn't really miss anything. The plan from the start had been to just buy anything small that I needed, like sunblock or clothes. The GPS was a bit useless, but it was small enough that it wasn't much of a burden. If I did it again though, I'd probably travel even lighter. Despite my best efforts I accumulated more as I went, and probably should have started with less clothing.

Unknown said...

Less clothing!? I know ladies who take more than 4 sets just for the weekend, heh.

I agree though you found some pretty neat stuff. Much more fun to pick things up on the way.