Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 312: Katoomba

I wasn't in too extreme of a rush since trains run pretty often out to the Blue Mountains, so I had an early lunch before heading to Central Station for the train. There's a suburban train line out to the mountains so the trip out is only about $8. I still don't really get why a 10 minute trip to the airport costs twice as much as a 2.5 hour trip out to Katoomba, but that's how things are. Katoomba is a small town right at the edge of the Blue Mountains National Park, and many of the hiking trails in the area begin from it. The hostel I'd booked was pretty amazing, and the only real downside to it was that you were only allowed 60MB of internet usage a day, which burns up fast even with just normal web browsing.

I was on the opposite side of town from the canyon down to the park, but I could walk there in about 40 minutes. Since it was already afternoon by the time I was checked in I didn't want to do anything too ambitious, so I walked down to the lookout at Echo Point and followed the edge of the cliff around past the 3 Sisters formation and popping out between Katoomba and the nearby town of Leura. It was about a 3 walk in total, and I good way to get a feeling for the town and get a few vistas out at the gorgeous view of the park.


No comments: