Friday, August 3, 2012

Berlin Street Art: Sculpture and Installations

This is a bit of an "anything else" category. Like paste-ups, these are usually (but not always) works of art created ahead of time and then installed in a public space, often using the space itself as an aspect of the artwork. Because this is such a vague definition, there really are as many types of sculptures and installations as there are artists. The first one I'm going to show is one of those exceptions that isn't creating the art ahead of time, and is another artist I've mentioned before.




These are done by artist Alexandre Farto, who I mentioned in London. It might be a bit of a stretch to call these sculpture, but since he chisels out the pictures I'm not sure what else to call them. Some would even argue that these aren't real street art, since it turns out they are made as part of a subtle Levi's campaign.

Tiles are a popular medium, both painted and mounted and as mosaics. I've put up lots of Invader pieces, but somewhat surprisingly he's one of the few artists I didn't see evidence of in Berlin. There are other artists present though. The one with the Ore (artist?) label has been especially common through Europe.



Next is an artist who has amused me a bit. His sculpture is very subtle, and both examples I found were pretty well hidden.



I could swear I saw an article about the person who puts up these facial-feature sculptures in Berlin before, but can't find it now. They are pretty small though, and the ear disguised as a girder stud especially took me awhile to figure out.

I'm almost positive this little guy that was near the hidden art and book shop is one of the sculptures of Isaac Cordal, who was another artist with lots of work in London when I was there. Clet Abraham's pieces, which I already showed earlier, are a different take on installed art. Here are a few more random pieces from Berlin.


No comments: