Wednesday, April 10, 2013

American Street Art

The United States was one of the first countries to popularize street art, and the two biggest centers for it are in New York City and along the California coast. Here's a sample of the art I encountered around Los Angeles, San Francisco and Phoenix.

El Mac

If you go back to one of my very first posts on the street art tour I did in London you'll see a cowboy portrait by El Mac. The way he makes portraits in stripes makes them feel almost like auras, and the style makes his pieces easy to identify, a trait that I'm beginning to think is almost as important as actual quality and technique in street art. El Mac is from Phoenix, so it was nice to find a mural there by him (the third one). The first two were in Hollywood.

Herakut

I've mentioned Herakut before as well. They are a German duo that are probably my favourite artists, but I had never actually seen their art in person. I knew they'd been around California in the last couple years, so I made an effort to hunt down their pieces that were still standing (and a few locations where they weren't anymore). I'm especially fond of the first two here, which are on the walls of a building in Culver City. The last one is hidden in the back parking lot of a shop in San Francisco. A couple months ago Herakut started a new world tour that has so far had them leaving art around Asia and Australia. I'm a bit disappointed with my timing, since I'm missing out on art and shows they're doing in places I was just in, but I'm happy to see them out spreading their art around the world again.

Shepard Fairey

Shepard Fairey is probably the most famous American street artist, and his art is very design-oriented. I probably saw more art by him, but this large mural from LA is classic Shepard Fairey.

I don't have the time to try to figure out who did all the other stuff right now, but here's an assortment of some more of the art that I liked. Some of them are signed, but some will have to remain mysteries for now.

Los Angeles / Culver City


San Francisco


Phoenix

No comments: