Saturday, August 4, 2012

Berlin Street Art: Stickers

Stickers are typically the most numerous form of street art in a city. They are fast and safe to put up, and are put up for many different reasons. Some are done as part of commercial marketing campaigns, or advertising a shop or event. Others are simply artwork on their own, or use familiar imagery to link to and promote the larger works of other street artists. Since I'm not an expert on all the individual artists and campaigns, I'm going to focus mostly on this last group since it's the stuff I recognize the most, but I'll throw in some others that I simply like the art of as well.

The bomb bird here is a very common sticker in at least central Europe. When I was in Vienna there were streets where it would be on virtually every single sign. I'm not sure which person/group it is for though.
The Klik sticker here is a bit of a spoof on Shepard Fairey's famous Andre the Giant Obey sticker. Because Fairey's is probably the most well known street art icon, it's all the most imitated and spoofed.


The happy face on the edge of that pole is another familiar image in Berlin.

The face is done by an artist named Prost who has them all over Berlin in different mediums.



The spaced outlooking Panda sticker in that one with Prost also relates to a larger painting in Berlin.

It is one of the images used by Drab Art. You begin to see how after awhile so many things link to other things, and you might look at a particularily crowded sign or window and recognize half a dozen different images and know at least a bit about them. One other set I wanted to mention is this mostly stickers, although I did see one stencil as well.




I saw many more of these stickers that I didn't photograph. I, somewhat romantically, like to think the artist puts up art showing the the time they are putting up the art, but that might be too impractical. It's a pretty strange, and widespread effort though.
Anyway, here are a few some more stickers!
(Should look familiar)
(Will look familiar shortly)


As I mentioned in an earlier post, the sticker museum, called Hatch, is interesting as it shows some more complete sets by arists.

No comments: